Respect our Planet
The 400hp electric motors are powered by a 320 KW generator and a 380V battery pack that supplements the clean Tier 2 marine diesel engines. Combining these technologies we are able to greatly reduce our fuel consumption and overall emissions.
Energy and fuel savings
- We built the Hornblower Hybrid by reusing another boat. In doing so, we saved more than 735,000 KWh of electricity in the construction and retrofit of the vessel. That is the equivalent of taking more than 60 U.S. homes off the grid for an entire year!
- Instead of idling at the dock or burning diesel to keep the lights on (a standard practice in the industry) the Hornblower Hybrid switches from diesel power to battery mode to save fuel and reduce emissions. The Hornblower Hybrid by itself reduces our annual diesel consumption by more than 29,000 gallons! That is equivalent to taking 58 cars off the road permanently or planting 90 acres of trees. The hybrid boat uses approximately six gallons of diesel fuel per hour, compared to 30 gallons per hour used by a conventional ferryboat.
- Carpet – contains Everset Fibers made from post-consumer recycled material and is also recyclable.
- Countertops – indoor and outdoor bars are made from pieces of recycled glass by Vetrazzo, Inc.
- Lights – the boat is fully equipped with an LED lighting system.
- Interior signage – printed on Plyboo, a Forest Service certified product made from 100% renewable materials.
- All interior modifications meet the United States Green Building Council’s LEED criteria for recycled content
Hybrid Ferry in the News!
- Sustainable Industries
- WorkBoat Magazine (PDF)
- Marine Log
- Market Watch: Hybrids Take to Water
- The City Star
- Wired: Hornblower hybrid leads the way to greener boats
Discover The Bay
Learning stations aboard the boat include:
- Hands-on, Educational Activities
- Bay Food Web & Plankton Exploration
- Water Chemistry
- Hybrid Technology & Climate Change
- Bay Wetlands & Ecology
Program package includes:
- 2 1/2 Hour Interactive Hybrid Ferry Cruise
- Lunch aboard the Hornblower Hybrid (lunch not provided)
- 1 Hour Aquarium Guided Tour
For more information please send an email to [email protected].
Take Your Class On An Environmental Field Trip!
As growing environmental challenges loom on the horizon for generations to come, it is absolutely crucial to integrate environmental education into early childhood experiences
We invite you to explore our site and learn about the different ways Hornblower companies are working to Respect Our Planet by preventing pollution, reducing waste, conserving energy, and applying alternative energy technologies.
Clean Air … Clean Water … Clean Future
Respect Our Planet is an environmental management plan and education program designed to promote best practices throughout our business, and to encourage our guests to adopt these practices in their lives.
– Terry MacRae, CEO, Hornblower Yachts, Inc.
Historically, water transportation is not known for its environmentally friendly practices. As a company, we acknowledge the challenges within our industry and are committed to a philosophy of continual improvement. These improvements are based on both internal and external operations that reflect our ongoing commitment to environmental stewardship. We are working hard to reduce our impact on the environment as well as raise awareness within our industry and our community.
In doing so, we have made some big changes. We have replaced our boat engines with cleaner Tier 3 marine engines and switched to biodiesel. We are building hybrid boats powered by solar, wind, and fuel cell technology. We offer carbon neutral cruises and are expanding our environmental educational programs to serve our guests, crew, and community. These improvements represent just a few of the many facets attributed to Respect Our Planet and our continued efforts toward a sustainable future.
We have established a clear vision for the future of our company and embrace the idea of what it means to truly be a sustainable company. To promote environmental stewardship and encourage others to adopt green practices into their lives, we have adopted the following goals as part of our mission to Respect Our Planet:
1. Showcase advancements made by Hornblower companies to become greener.
2. Educate people on how to reduce their environmental impact.
3. Motivate people to take action in small or large ways.
4. Partner with leading organizations to provide people the opportunity to make environmentally friendly purchasing decisions.
5. Use our location and company resources to educate children on conservation and environmental awareness
Corporate Mission Statement
At Hornblower Group we are committed to respecting our crew, our visitors and the natural environment. Through our Respect Management System, an integration of our environmental, health & safety and quality management systems, we strive to serve you better and leave the planet a better place than when we began
Health and Safety
What We Do
At Hornblower, we are aware that our everyday decisions, large and small, impact the world around us. We aim to educate and inspire others by offering solutions and information on how people can adopt green practices and environmentally friendly habits. Together we can learn to Respect Our Planet. We invite you to explore our site and learn more about some of the many ways Hornblower companies are working to Respect Our Planet.
Advocate: One that speaks for a cause
Check out the Hornblower Hybrid Commercial
Climate change. Increasing greenhouse emissions. Every day, we hear about the impact the human race has on the planet, yet our behavior is slow to change. Many people doubt their individual changes can make a difference.
What Can You Do
There are many ways a person can reduce his or her impact on the environment and it begins with small changes in our daily habits. Start with one of our suggestions at your home or business. Talk to your family, friends, and colleagues about ways to contribute to a cleaner and healthier world.
In order to overcome the global challenges we face, environmental education and awareness is essential. The more we learn about environmental issues and how our choices and behaviors affect environmental health, the better equipped we are to make environmentally responsible decisions. At Hornblower, we help support environmental awareness every day by putting environmental issues front and center, providing education and sharing resources and knowledge with our communities and each one of our guests and crew.
Educate our community
At Alcatraz Cruises, we promote environmental awareness and encourage others to “buy green” by taking an active role in our community. Our Environmental Days program in San Francisco invites local green businesses to spend a day with us at Alcatraz Landing to showcase and promote their eco-friendly goods and services to visitors. Through our community involvement, Hornblower helps everyday people make everyday green decisions.
Educate our children
For more information on our Educational Bay Cruises or Environmental Days please email [email protected].
Hornblower also provides online tools to help teach and inspire children to become environmental stewards and advocates. In addition to the discussions we host in various online forums, here are some of our other favorite online resources to help kids discover, learn and connect on environmental issues: